Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Skate America: Epilogue

We made it. Skate America 2008 is now in the books and it was, by most accounts, a success. I understand that it set a record for tickets sold although there did appear to be a lot of people disguised as empty seats. Never would have happened if we were talking about "Bowl America", believe me. Bowling fans would flock to Comcast Arena by the thousands from around the country to take in 3 days of pin pounding action. Well, maybe not. Figure skating is pretty darned popular.

Japanese TV (left) and NBC TV crews hard at work
After a great breakfast at Kate's Greek / American restaurant in North Everett (you've gotta try this place if you get a chance and get one of the dishes with feta cheese) we hit the arena at around 10:30am in plenty of time for the pairs dance long program. I can't remember who won but seem to think that they were from France. Or somewhere close to France.

During the intermission BowlingWidow (does this mean I'm now SkatingWidower?) and I took a lap around the concourse of the arena. It was an amazing logjam of humanity, largely due to the fact that the lineups of women waiting to get into the many restrooms were incredibly long. And clearly, the patience of these full-bladdered ladies was wearing quite thin as they inched toward the promised porcelain land. I can only hope and pray that any incidents were minimal and that they all made it back to their seats on time to enjoy the ladies long free skate program.

Kim Yu-Na puts the finishing touches on gold
While the pairs dance competition was artistic, the ladies free skate was full of daring maneuvers and a lot of risk taking. Some of the skaters, after a challenging jump, ended up back on the ice in a horizontal and not-so-good way. Bad for them but entertaining for a figure skating novice observer such as myself.

When the dust settled, it was South Korean Kim Yu-Na who turned in a brilliant performance to win easily. The next two were Japanese skaters with Americans taking fourth and fifth.

And Tonya Harding was nowhere to be found.

7 comments:

Captain ILL said...

It sounds like I missed an exciting event. I happen to know that Captain ILL was not present; what other Sno-Isle celebrities did you see? What other Sno-Isle celebrities are there?

Anonymous said...

I don't know everyone's name but BowlingWidow was pointing them out to me. She would be the one to ask. I do know that I met your director there, however.

Captain ILL said...

You met the Director? Did you say or do anything embarrassing?

Anonymous said...

I spilled beer on her. But that's how we greet each other in Port Angeles and I'm sure she's well read enough to know that particular aspect of the culture and recognize that I'm a Port Angelino.

Captain ILL said...

Wait a minute! You bought licorice instead of beer. Are you telling us that you spilled her own beer on her? Or that you grabbed some stranger's beer and spilled that on her?

Anonymous said...

You've got me there, Joe. You're right there was no beer involved. I lied but I did it in the name of comedy, so that makes it okay.

Captain ILL said...

Well, I can't fault your reasoning; the needs of wit hath no limits.

Did you at least spill your licorice on her?