Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Still Crooked In Kenmore

Around a year ago, when I first started this blog, I wrote about the book group I was asked to be a part of in (I think) 2004. Or maybe it was 2005. The guys are always reading good things and listening to interesting music, which I’ve concluded has added a positive dimension to my life.

Two of many kids who enjoyed the concert

With this in mind one of the guys, Steven, and I hit the concert trail last Thursday to check out a band called Crooked Still at St. Edward Park in Kenmore. But in the spirit of “first things first” I took Steven on a quick tour of a two Snohomish County brewpub cathedrals. First was Scuttlebutt Brewing near the Everett marina, followed by Diamond Knot in Mukilteo (next to the Whidbey Island ferry terminal). We had IPAs at both with some pub grub at Diamond Knot. He agreed that Diamond Knot’s IPA was superior with its hoppy floral qualities and more complete body.

On to Kenmore! It was our first visit to a show there. They have a nifty little free summer concert series in an open field with a minimal but functional plywood stage.

We easily found our way toward the front rows and plopped down on the grass as the surrounding crowd opened picnic baskets while their kids burned off some energy on the expansive site.
.
Steven enjoying the scene

Crooked Still, by their own definition, are an alternative bluegrass band. The 5-member ensemble (vocals, banjo, cello, fiddle, bass) mainly play their own material but occasionally dip into some stuff by music legends such as Robert Johnson and Bill Monroe.

The first thing that struck me after they took the stage was how young they looked. Couldn’t be because I’m getting older, right? Right. They are in fact young. Picture bluegrass musicians in your mind for a moment and chances are you’ll conjure up an image of Roy Clark. These kids are in their twenties. In fact, the cellist was celebrating his 23rd birthday that night.

Intermission on the big stage
The music was upbeat and lively after a false start or two with the guy who was at the sound board, the weather was warm but overcast (not that I’m complaining or anything since I’m the kind of guy who’s liable to make his retirement home in Nova Scotia), and the crowd was obviously having a good time even if most weren’t familiar with the band.

The 2 hour performance ended promptly at 8 pm and we were back in Marysville by nine. I’ll have to keep this place on my radar screen for next year, too. Free is good. Free high quality live music in a nice outdoor venue is better. Good on ya, Kenmore.


Here's a sound clip from the show. Unfortunately the sound quality on my Pentax digital camera is severely lacking (hey, that's not what I bought it for though) but I'll post it anyway.


3 comments:

Captain ILL said...

Nice! It's too bad the sound quality on your Pentax digital camera isn't better, but it was enough to tell they were doing a swell job.

Anonymous said...

Yes, they're a talented bunch of young people. It always makes me happy when I see that "kids" are keeping these styles alive. I guess it ain't all rap and badly done pop music.

Brian Lacey said...

Diamond Knot Industrial IPA!!!!!